Monday, August 24, 2009

HPPD at the MSI

Before I begin, I would like to thank all of those people who helped me out by posting on my behalf last week. I am very pleased at the variety of posts as well as the wonderful comments that were submitted. Thank you all for helping me out and continuing to stop by even though I was somewhat away.

Last week I went on a Stay-cation where I stayed at home and did things as if I was on vacation. One of the things I did was go to the Museum of Science and Industry with some friends on Saturday. There is a Harry Potter exhibit at the museum and our friends decided that we should have a Play Date and see the Harry Potter exhibit… so the HPPD was born.


Here's my wife waiting at track 9 1/2 (I know, I know… it should have been 9 3/4…
I guess I'm not as much of a Harry Potter geek that I thought
).

I called the museum about two weeks before and reserved our vouchers for the Harry Potter exhibit, then let our friends know when we reserved our time slot. I guess I was to blame because I did not get a confirmation number and wound up arguing with the receptionist that I had a reservation for the 10:15 time slot and being one of those difficult customers. We couldn't go at a later time because our friends had reservations at 10:15 as well, so we compromised and got to go in at the scheduled time and was able to go in through the Handicap entrance (I guess we were mentally handicapped because we were too stupid to get a confirmation number). We were not allowed to take pictures, but we did get some others from within the museum:


Not sure what this was all about… but we did enjoy the sign.

One of the benefits of being a member of a museum is that you can go at any time and not have to worry about paying admission. My wife and I went to the museum a few weeks prior and saw a lot of the exhibits that we pointed out to our friends when they came to visit. I am a Lego affectionado and was fascinated by all of the buildings that were made out of Legos. I took a picture of the Sears Tower so that I could say that I saw it while it was still called the Sears Tower. Little did I know that the name would change on the exhibit so soon.

 
On the left is the Sears Tower when my wife and I first saw it,
and on the right is the same model with Willis Tower as the name
(what you talkin' about Willis…)

One aspect of the museum that my wife and I noticed is that it doesn't seem to be as large as we remember as children. Many of the exhibits we grew to love are no longer there. One of which is the Heart which we both remember going through as children. That whole wing is now being renovated which means that we no longer can go through the old heart. We hear that there is going to be a new heart— but it will never replace the old one no matter how primitive it was.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Hands down, that is my favorite museum. I've taken the boys there 4 or 5 times. This winter I had all 5 kids and they had a blast. They also saw the ads for the Harry Potter exhibit and were dying to go.

Glad you enjoyed your time "away." And thanks or having me as as guest.

MakingChanges said...

Never been to it, but sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the flash-back to Different Strokes. I say that to my kids and they look at me like I am mentally handicapped. Hey, does that mean we are connected somehow?

Web Analytics