Friday, May 8, 2009

F2: Corn Chowder

Welcome again to Friday's Feast. Today I'll be sharing one of my recipes. If you don't know what Friday's Feast is all about, please read the Friday's Feast page for a more detailed explanation. If you want to join in on the feast, be sure to leave a comment and include the URL to your post so I and others can know of your contribution.

Participants in this weeks Feast are as follows:


With inspirations from Mrs. Mackinac…

My wife tends to correct me on this one because I tend to get it confused with Kat's Clam Chowder. I decided to write it down so that I wouldn't forget. Serves 4-6.

Corn Chowder:
3-4 Slices of Salt Pork
1-2 Medium Yellow Onions
3-4 Medium Idaho Potatoes
1 14oz can of Creamed Corn
1½C Milk
  1. Cut Salt Pork into ⅛" (1cm) cubes.
    When cutting the Salt Pork, be sure to remove the rind.
  2. Add the salt pork to a small frying pan over medium heat.
  3. While the salt pork is cooking… peel and chop the onions into similar sized pieces as the salt pork.
  4. Once the salt pork is brown, remove from the pan and set aside on a paper towl.
    Do not drain or turn off heat.
  5. Add the onions to the frying pan and continue to cook until transparent.
    Remove from heat when finished.
  6. Peel and dice the potatoes.
  7. Add potatoes to a soup pot.
  8. Add enough water to cover potatoes.
  9. Cover and bring to a gentle boil, then simmer on low.
  10. When potatoes are tender, add the salt pork, onions, and creamed corn.
  11. Using the creamed corn can, add a can's worth of milk to the pot and continue to simmer on low.
    be sure to stir to avoid a skin

    There is no need to add salt because there is enough salt in the salt pork.

  12. Enjoy

7 comments:

Sarah Lulu said...

Hmmm is salt pork ...bacon?

I want to make that soup ..perfect for the colder weather we are now having in Autumn.

Deb said...

i have this exact recipe (almost). we all LOVE it. we got the recipe from a tavern in colonial williamsburg.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Hm. If I omit the pork, will it hamper the taste of the soup?

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...

Sounds like awesome comfort food. Thanks for sharing. emmmmmm

Debbie said...

I love corn chowder. Yum!

SweetPeaSurry said...

Oohhh that looks sooo yummy. Too bad I can't make any for a long while. :)

Unknown said...

That sounds good. I'm not a big cream corn fan but it doesn't sound so bad in a soup.

Web Analytics