Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wordful Wednesday: Making Snow-wheels

In honor of Seven CLown Circus' Wordful Wednesday I have decided to show some pictures of when I made snow-wheels.

The day before Christmas Eve, my wife and I were watching our grandson. The snow was perfect packing snow and he wanted to make a snow man. My wife— remembering how we saw an interesting snow-dog, wanted to make a snow-dog:


Here's a picture of the snow-man and snow-dog that we made.

We modeled our snow-dog after our own dog Spike. We added ears and a nice long tail on the end.


Snow-man and Snow-dog with Grandson for scale.

Being inspired myself, I wanted to make a snow-wheel. If you don't know how to make one— you just start out with your snow-ball and instead of rolling it around you roll it in a straight line. If it is a freshly fallen snow you pick up all of the snow right down to the ground much like you do rolling up sod:


Here is the snow-wheel with my Wife and Grandson for scale

I used to make snow-wheels all the time in my back yard growing up. The key to making them is not to let them fall over… which became very difficult especially when the wheel got to be as tall as you.

15 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Oh, I can remember doing this as a kid. Awesome!!

Kiki said...

beautiful pictures. i have never done a snow wheel. now if only we would get some snow i could attempt it. love the snow dog, too. thanks for sharing and take care.

Melissa B. said...

Thanks so much for sharing these Superior Snaps! We've been in the deep freeze with snow, etc., but temps are supposed to climb to the 50s by Friday, so I'm thinking, no more snow for us...

Kellyology said...

Am loving the snow dog. Pretty cute!

Happy WW!

Aliceson said...

Your snow dog turned out great! My husband once sculpted a replica of his '69 Beetle at the beach... with sand not snow.

We always called them snow bales because they look like a big round hay bale. We live in the middle of farm country, what can I say?

Kekibird said...

Holy cow that's a big, rolled ball of snow. And yeah for Snow Dog!

storyteller said...

How kewl ... I love the snow dog! Having never lived where it snows ... all 'snow play' is foreign to me but nifty to see. Thanks for dropping by my musings at Sacred Ruminations.
Hugs and blessings,

Liz Mays said...

I used to hate when it would pick up the grass. It made my snowman messy! LOL

Annie said...

Looks like lots of fun playing with snow.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Deb said...

okay, tell your wife she rocks. that is one impressive snow dog. not that there's anything wrong with your snow wheel :)

Cajoh said...

@pam, @Aliceson… so glad that I am not the only one who remembers these things. I usually tell people that I want to make snow-wheels and they think I'm crazy.

Momisodes said...

What a great snow dog! I will have to try the snow rolling you describe.
What fun :)

KarieK said...

Those are AWESOME! I miss the snow, but not the cold. I know....that might be more waxing poetic if I continue. ;)

Captain Dumbass said...

Snow wheels? I'll have to try that the next time it snows. Don't think it will be this year though.

Vesper said...

LOL Awesome! Love the pictures! Thanks for linking me here :)

Web Analytics