Friday, July 13, 2012

Master T

The elementary school in our neighborhood has an art fair. One of the highlights of the fair is the T-shirt auction where you bid on T-shirts that the students paint based upon the masters. The proceeds go towards funding for the Art department.

Last year I won the bid on a T-shirt based on a Lichtenstein painting:

This year I paid $75 for another Lichtenstein painting:

This by no means was the highest paid for a T-shirt. There was one during this year's fair that fetched $120. My Step daughter holds the record for the highest bid at $260. It was a Surrat painting in pointillist style which probably explains why it fetched such a high price.

Unfortunately, the art teacher who started the fair over 20 years ago is retiring this year. We may not ever see another art fair, but we did enjoy supporting the arts by buying T-shirts. We like to wear them all the time, and even wear them the Art Institute which gets a lot of people asking if we bought it in the gift shop.


Second Blooming

4 comments:

Michele said...

What a fantastic idea! And, what a great cause. I'd be tempted to hang them in my house but than I've been known to hang pretty much anything. Great spin.

gretchen said...

I agree with Michele - what a terrific idea! I may pass this on to the art teacher at Jude's school!

You are linked!

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

What a great idea! I teach at an ARTS magnet and I'm going to suggest this to them!

That gentleman's lady said...

cool shirts!! what did you do with your shirts?

Web Analytics