Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Movers and Shakers

You may have heard the phrase "The Movers and the Shakers", but do you have any idea what that means? I have a tendency to make up my own meanings to words which tend to be quite close to the actual meaning,or even give new insight into the current definition.

As found in Dictionary.com the definition of Movers and Shakers is:

A person who wields power and influence in a particular activity or field.1

So it appears that nobody has taken the time to define what each part of the phrase means. So I guess I can't be wrong in offering my definition of each:

Mover
This is not the person who moves your furniture, but rather the people who keep things moving. They are the ones who "Get things done". You look to movers because you know that they are typically successful when it comes to executing a given task.
Shaker
No… we're not talking about the people who make baskets and chairs, but rather those people who shake things up. These are the ones who question things and will stand up for what they think is right. You look to these people to change the status quo, or even offer a new perspective.

Looking at my definition, I realize that I do not tend to fit either one of these fully. There may be times when I take on the "role" of Mover, but am never looked upon as a "Mover". True… sometimes I may say something that causes you to see things differently— but I do not consider myself someone who challenges and changes the status quo. What about you… are you a Mover or a Shaker?


1 Taken from The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
Copyright © 1997.
Published by Houghton Mifflin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a tailer.

I hang onto the coattails of the Movers and Shakers.

*smile*

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm definitely a Mover. I can't stand things not getting done, so I will do it myself.
Now, if I think of something that would make things better, I will take on the role of Shaker. But only if it truly help. Some Shakers tend to change things because they don't like static energy. :-)

SuziCate said...

I don't fit either...I like Quirkloon's idea, hanging onto the coattails of themovers and the shakers!

Web Analytics