Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Relationships Relate

From early on I realized that I valued relationships very highly. What I also found is that I tended to view relationships more seriously, and gave them a far greater importance overall. I think that this artificial elevation of the importance of relationships is something that others view as well. This is what typically got me into trouble when wanting a relationship. I tended to value the relationship in such a way that would make me appear either desperate or overly serious. What I have learned as of late, is that relationships do not have to be held in such high esteem.

I tend to look at things and try and figure out how they work. Much of my Personal Philosophy posts revolve around how I perceive the inner workings of relationships. One conclusion that I came to is that relationships relate.

We all interact with other people in one way or another. Unless you are trapped on a deserted island, you will always encounter other people. How you choose to interact with those people is basically how you relate to them. The fact that you are relating to the person means that you are in a relationship with them.

Rather than giving examples in this post, I decided to break it up into separate posts to allow those posts to stand on their own, as well as relate back to this post (no pun intended):

For now I will only list the examples to give you a chance to chime in and give me your opinion about them (or even offer other examples to use as well). Then when they have been posted, the bullet points will be changed to be links (to better relate them to this post).

What do you think… do relationships relate? Do we give the word Relationship too much importance?

2 comments:

Dana K said...

I'm not sure what you mean by "acting" relationship, but I do relate with people in different ways. I have personal relationships & professional relationships (including my husband's coworkers). When meeting new people outside of a an obvious personal/professional situation, I usually err on the side of professional until I get to know them better. Does that make sense?

Introspection is always a good thing.

That gentleman's lady said...

I agree with the fact that relationships don't have to be serious. I find that even the most serious of relationships need an element of silliness and hilarity.

I wouldn't say that the act of relating to them is your relationship. I feel as if the relationship and the developing of it is more of an effect of relating than the act of it.

Web Analytics