Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sphere of Influence

"How big is your bubble?"

During the course of your life you will be around people. If you could add up the number of people that you have ever been around– even those that you never even met– it gets to be a pretty big number. For example, if you went to a professional football game, all of the people in the stadium, the football players, and even the people watching the game on TV when the camera pans past you count. You do not even have to be see the other person in order to influence someone (the fact alone that you are reading this and may have never met me proves it).

Any time you come in contact with someone, you will influence them. Influence can be conscious, unconscious, or even subconscious in nature. If you notice someone, talk to them, or even read something they wrote– most likely it is conscious because you are aware of their influence. If you are not aware of the influence by someone it is most likely unconscious because you are employing unconscious communication to relate to something even though the person is not around. If you are unaware of the persons presence but are still influenced by them, then it is subconscious.

Because of the fact that you can influence people through many different levels, and the number influenced is very large— if you could quantify those numbers you should be able to see how big your sphere of influence truly is.

5 comments:

Whitney R said...

Interesting. I love your train of thought, here. I wonder about things like this sometimes.

I just hope I'm a good influence! That's why you always have to keep in mind that SOMEONE is watching. I just want to make sure I'm being nice!

Cajoh said...

Thank you for commenting, it proves that I am influencing (verb, not adjective).

Yes, being paranoid does keep one on their toes. But you are also right in that it should keep you on the "strait and narrow". I didn't mention quality of influence, but now I will have to consider it for the future.

Deb said...

so does this mean i'm more popular than i think i am, or does this mean that MORE people can't stand me than i realize?

Vodka Mom said...

I really love that!! I have often thought of that! I called it Connect the Dots in a post I did last year for our local paper. Not quite as eloquent as your post- but along the same lines!!

i love it......well said.

Eternal Lizdom said...

This is exactly the kind of thinking that I have when I talk about my purpose on this earth, in this lifetime. Some feel that for their life to have meaning, they have to do something grand. I think I just need to cause ripples. And that anything I do causes ripples. And some people will be impacted strongly by the ripples and others won't feel them at all. And someone, somewhere might be struck by my ripple and turn it into a great wave.

Web Analytics